Friday, April 8, 2011

FOOD FOR FRIDAY

Ok so I am not a cook. I do not like to cook but when I was in the grocery yesterday I saw this seasoning mix. I was hungury so I threw it in my cart. Well we do not try alot of new food around here but i was determined to make it. I read the back recipe and saw I had everything I needed in my pantry at home. Great! So I bought it and today whipped it up for dinner only I added a few of my own touches. I don't know why because like I said I am not a cook nor do I like to cook. Well to start with here Don and I do not eat Mexican. I think we have been to Taco bell maybe twice in 39 years..... So I knew we liked tacos and I knew he LOVEs beans so what you gonna lose??? here is the recipe on the package


LAWRYS CHIMICHURRI BURRITO CASSEROLE

1 1/2 cups of water
1(8oz) can tomato sauce

1 lb ground beef or turkey
1 can(15oz)black beans,drained and rinsed
8 flour tortillas(8 inch) warmed

1 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend

DIRECTIONS


Mix water,seasoning Mix and tomato sauce until well blended.
BROWN meat in large skillet on medium-high heat. Drain fat. Stir in 1 cup of the sauce mixture and beans.  Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture into each tortilla. Fold over sides. Place seam side down in greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with cheese
BAKE in preheated 350 degree oven 15 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted
Ok I did add my own touch by making 2 cups of minute rice and put in the meat,bean mixture however next time I will only add one cup.
I did not have the 8 inch tortillas so I used the large ones. I used a full 2 cups of cheese too.

I baked it longer then 15 mintues also. so all in all it was good but I like spicy and this is NOT spicy
I have decided you could use any taco seasoning mix in this recipe too instead of the one I purchased.We did have lots of leftovers too. With the rice added to the mixture it really made it go a long way. I have a full bowl of mixture leftover and two full burritos. We each ate one and were full however we are old, a teen or working man or woman would probably need more to fill them up. I could have eaten more but did not want to feel "stuffed"
So that is my exciting cooking day I recommend this dish for large crowds it would go a long way .


some of the ingredients


           the sauce mixed and the cheese
the ground beef browning
the sauce,beans,rice and ground beef filling
tortilla shells filled and in baking pan

sprinkled with cheese and ready for the oven
baked with cheese melted
dinner is ready to serve

DINNER IS SERVED


Ok this is as exciting as it gets around here. I hope you enjoyed being in the kitchen with me today. It really was good and filling.
Happy Friday and happy cooking to you if this is what you like to do. I notice some of my pictures are tagged funny just read at the bottom of them for the picture on top of it. toodles out to the flower beds for me this weekend. Hope the rain holds off for a while.
Pat

PS i did use fat free tortilla shells, reduced fat cheese. You could make it healthier I suppose with ground white meat turkey too. I can not tell you the calorie count or anything on this meal.

5 comments:

~*~Harvest Moon by the Lake~*~ said...

Yummmm, that sounds sooo good! Good idea to add the rice too! I like how it streaches the meal but I still don't think I would have leftovers with my crew. I going to try this one!

Thanks for sharing,
Leanne

Maureen said...

Thanks for sharing this Pat. I know this will be a popular dish here. ps: your kitchen counters are so pretty!

Barefoot Primitives said...

Oh YUMMO Pat! Can't wait to try these little babies!!! Thanks!

sunnisandy said...

Nice recipe and sounding so easy thank you!

Becky said...

That looks absolutely scrummy! Looks like something my hubby would love. Thanks for posting the recipe.