Saturday, May 24, 2008

Martha Stewart I am NOT

Since I just love to live life on the edge, I tried a new (for me) yummy Carmel Roll recipe from a fellow blog member, Maureen.

Those who know me can vouch that I am NOT a gifted baker. I require very precise recipe directions. There are good reasons why I do not improvise and rarely, if ever, make a substitution. I'm merely a Martha wanna be.

Due to an unfortunate mishap involving a pizza, I had to take a break from using my oven until I resolved some clean-up issues. This was a task that I continued to ignore for a lengthy period of time, probably in part because I could not locate the chisel in the garage. But alas, I finally cleaned my oven and decided to make these rolls to celebrate Mother's Day.

The recipe called for frozen dinner rolls but did not state the size of package or number of rolls. Therefore, I used the entire package. Based on the result, I'm assuming this was a lofty assumption. I was so busy playing bored...er...board games with my kiddos that I never once peeked into the oven until I saw smoke coming out of the back vent. That's never a good sign, although I 'm happy to report that our smoke detector is in working order. Here's the finished masterpiece:





Side overflow view:



Look at my poor oven! And right after I had cleaned it too! Baked-on brown sugar and butter. Yippee! But the rolls tasted great, just a wee bit dry since all the good gooey stuff was sitting in a molten mess in my oven!



My oven is clean again, so I'm ready for my next baking adventure. I'm getting pretty handy with that chisel.

~Becky

CARAMEL STICKY BUNS

chopped nuts and raisins

1pkg frozen dinner rolls

1T cinnamon

1pkg regular butterscotch pudding (not instant)

6T Butter

1/2 C brown sugar

Generously grease a bundt pan. Sprinkle chopped nuts & raisins in bottom. Arrange frozen dinner rolls on top of nuts & raisins. Sprinkle pudding mix over rolls. Melt butter, stir in brown sugar and cinnamon. Pour over rolls. Let rise at room temp overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. While warm (or on fire) invert onto a plate.


8 comments:

The crafty granny said...

oh Becky I laughed so hard at this post. Great job on the rolls. My oven is so dirty too and just too much work to clean. Baw haw haw it is a self cleaning oven that is how lazy i am
Pat

Becky said...

LOL Pat! Mine is self cleaning too but when you have that much grit in there the cleaning cycle stinks up the entire house for days! ~Becky

Jaja said...

LOL!
~jaja

Cotton Eyed Jo said...

So I guess we have to go look through the threads for the recipe? LOL Jo

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

Or you could look in this thread. :-) I finally found the recipe and edited the thread to include it.

Maureen said...

sounds like I owe you an oven cleaning Becky :(

Becky said...

User error is not your responsibility Mo. But now I know how to get that smoked flavor into sweet rolls. You never know when that knowledge may be useful. Since we'll be doing a lot of camping this summer I need to prepare my palate for it anyway. ~Becky